PALO ALTO, Calif, August 2017 – HP Inc. is reimagining the retail industry with the unveiling of its innovative and versatile all-in-one point-of-sale (POS) system, the HP ElitePOS. The company is working with leading retail and hospitality customers and partners to reimagine how technology can transform the in-store experience for customers.
With e-commerce influencing consumers’ shopping experiences, brick and mortar retailers must ensure sales associates are data driven to better understand buying behavior and deliver the best possible customer experience. According to InReality, 69 percent of shoppers said they would be more likely to buy in-store if given access to digital self-help tools like interactive displays and kiosks 1. Finding the right balance of where technology can help increase sales while streamlining processes is vital in today’s new retail environment.
“As retailers seek new ways to interact with customers and reinvent in-store experiences, technology must empower sales associates and engage customers in a way that feels like a natural extension of the brand,” said Aaron Weiss, vice president and general manager of Retail, HP Inc. “The new HP ElitePOS solution is built for versatility with a sleek and stunning design that can adapt to multiple retail and hospitality environments, while still offering the security, performance and long-term durability that our customers expect from HP.”
The ElitePOS features a stunning, modular design, different from large, boxy POS terminals commonly used in retail environments. Its design is also functional, supporting use cases beyond checkout to make shopping faster and easier for both customers and the sales associates assisting them. These use cases include: interactive signage, employee attendance, and self-service applications like a customer check-in and access to additional product offerings in the “endless aisle”. For retailers who want a clean and clutter-free counter space, or who need greater versatility in the placement of their point-of-sale terminal, the display can be separated from the input/output (I/O) base for maximum placement versatility.
For businesses who want technology to complement their brand’s experience, the ElitePOS and its accessories add further customization and flexibility. Attention to detail – including an optional receipt printer that integrates into the column stand, and an optional magnetic stripe reader built into the display, create a clean counter space for retail environments. The optional barcode scanner and optional standalone printer match the elegance of the ElitePOS for a consistent design aesthetic across peripherals.
Retail and hospitality often have demanding and harsh environments, which can damage or destroy consumer-leveraged technology. That is why the ElitePOS is built to be retail-durable, designed to pass MIL-STD tests2, deter minor spills by channeling liquid out the device, and provide efficient cooling with side venting for improved reliability. Additionally, line-busting will be a breeze with Windows 10, fast DDR4 memory, and 7th generation Intel® Core™ processors with vPro™ technology.
“As the retail and hospitality industries undergo a revolutionary shift, the point-of-service device will be a critical hub in delivering the in-store experience for customers,” said Leslie Hand, vice president of Retail Insights, IDC. “But with this rapid transformation in digital business also comes increased threats, in the form of targeted attacks and malware. Retail POS systems, including the new HP ElitePOS, must be able to balance the growing needs of the customer and the brand while also acting as a guardian of the sensitive information that passes through the device on a daily basis.”
With point-of-sale devices increasingly targeted by hackers, security continues to be top of mind for the retail industry. According to Verizon, 64 percent of breaches in the retail industry that contained data loss were caused by point-of-sale intrusions3. This is why HP is expanding its industry-leading security solutions to the ElitePOS, with both hardware and integrated software security features, including:
- BIOS-level device security to provide protection in the event of a malware attack with HP Sure Start Gen3, the industry’s first self-healing BIOS, and HP BIOSphere Gen3, the industry-leading firmware ecosystems.
- User authentication technology, including an optional fingerprint reader for secure login; Credential Guard4 for secure user authentication and password protection, and Device Guard5, which lets IT managers create rules to run only signed, trusted, and approved applications on the POS system to help protect against walk-up and low-level attacks through USB ports.
- Physical security of the device itself with an optional bolt-to-counter configuration, VESA mounting K-Lock features and external fingerprint reader for secure login through Windows Hello 6.
The ElitePOS is expected to be available in August 2017 direct from HP and the company’s global network of more than 250,000 partners. Additionally, retail independent software vendors (ISVs) Custom Business Soutions, GK Software, LS Retail, Manhattan Associates, Omnico Group, PCMS, Retail Pro, SilverWare POS and TCPOS plan to support the new solution.
For more information on the point-of-sale system, visit http://www.hp.com/go/elitepos, or see the ElitePOS in person August 6-9 at RetailNow 2017 in booth #410-412.
- 2016 Reality of Retail Report, InReality.
- MIL STD 810G testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions. Accidental damage requires an optional HP Accidental Damage Protection Care Pack.
- 2016 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR).
- Requires Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.
- Windows 10 Enterprise and Device Guard are only available for installation through HP Custom Integration Services to enterprise customers with a volume license to use Windows 10 Enterprise. Device Guard is not available with Windows 10 Pro.
- Mounting hardware, lock cable and biometric fingerprint reader sold separately.