With an advanced 10-nanometer design, the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 processor can support phenomenal mobile performance. It is 35% smaller and uses 25% less power than previous designs, and is engineered to deliver exceptionally long battery life, lifelike VR and AR experiences, cutting-edge camera capabilities and Gigabit Class download speeds.
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., has introduced the Company’s newest premium-tier mobile platform, the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 processor with X16 LTE. The Snapdragon 835 processor is the first mobile platform to be commercially manufactured using the 10nm FinFET process node, allowing for breakthrough performance and superior power efficiency. The Snapdragon 835 is designed to support next-generation entertainment experiences and connected cloud services for premium-tier consumer and enterprise devices, including smartphones, VR/AR head-mounted displays, IP cameras, tablets, mobile PCs and other devices running a variety of OS’s including Android and Windows 10 with support for legacy Win32 apps.
Key components of the Snapdragon 835 processor include an integrated X16 LTE modem for Gigabit Class LTE connectivity, integrated 2×2 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® 5, and optional 802.11ad for Multi-gigabit connectivity. Improved processing power and performance is supported with our new Qualcomm® Kryo™ 280 CPU and Qualcomm® Hexagon™ 682 DSP, which includes support for TensorFlow for machine learning and Halide for image processing. The Snapdragon 835 also includes substantial enhancements to the Qualcomm® Adreno™ visual processing subsystem, including the new Adreno 540 GPU and Qualcomm Spectra™ 180 image sensor processor (ISP) for next-generation camera capabilities. Also new in Snapdragon 835 is the Qualcomm Haven™ security platform with enhanced security for biometrics and device attestation.
“Our new flagship Snapdragon processor is designed to meet the demanding requirements of mobile virtual reality and ubiquitous connectivity while supporting a variety of thin and light mobile designs,” said Cristiano Amon, executive vice president, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., and president, QCT. “The Snapdragon 835 has an unprecedented level of technology integration that supports superior battery life, improved multimedia, and exceptional photography with gigabit class speeds for fast, immersive experiences.”
The improvements available with the Snapdragon 835 powers can be summarized across five key technology pillars underpinned with a foundation of enhanced machine learning. The five technology pillars are:
- Battery life: The Snapdragon 835 is 35 percent smaller in package size and consumes 25 percent less power compared to our previous generation flagship processor, which equates to longer battery life and thinner designs. The Kryo 280 CPU provides a highly efficient architecture for power, while the integrated Hexagon 682 DSP adds support for TensorFlow and Halide frameworks. The combination of the CPU, GPU, DSP and software framework support in the Snapdragon 835 offers a highly-capable heterogeneous compute platform. Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 is equipped with Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4 for up to 20 percent faster charging and up to 30 percent higher efficiency than Quick Charge 3.0;
- Immersion: The Snapdragon 835 is designed to simultaneously meet the high performance demands, thermal limits and power efficiency constraints of the next-generation virtual and augmented reality (VR/AR) designs, and supports Daydream, Google’s platform for high quality, mobile VR. Many improvements were made to enhance visual quality, sound quality and intuitive interactions. Such improvements include up to a 25 percent increase in 3-D graphics rendering performance and support of up to 60 times more colors with the Adreno 540 visual processing subsystem. Snapdragon 835 also supports 4K Ultra HD premium (HDR10) video, wide color gamut 10-bit displays, object and scene-based 3D audio, and outstanding VR/AR motion tracking that includes our own sensor fusion-based six degrees of freedom (6DoF);
- Capture: The Snapdragon 835 enhances both still and video capture experience with smooth optical zoom capabilities, fast auto-focus technologies and HDR true-to-life colors with perceptual quantization video encoding. At the core of the capture experience is the Qualcomm Spectra 180 camera ISP, featuring dual 14-bit ISPs that will enable up to 32MP single or dual 16MP cameras for the ultimate photography and videography experience;
- Connectivity: The Snapdragon 835 comes with an integrated X16 Gigabit-Class LTE modem, with integrated 2×2 802.11ac Wave-2 and 802.11ad Multi-gigabit Wi-Fi, making it the first commercial processor equipped to deliver Gigabit-Class connectivity at home and on the go. With several Gigabit LTE networks expected to be rolled out around the globe in 2017 and increasing use of 802.11ad, the Snapdragon 835 is designed to empower a new generation of connected experiences in the areas of VR/AR, infinite cloud storage, rich entertainment and instant apps;
- Security: The Qualcomm Haven security platform provides support for fingerprint, eye and face-based biometrics. It also includes hardware-based user authentication, device attestation, and device security for use cases such as mobile payments, enterprise access, and users’ personal data;
- Pillars bolstered by machine learning: Upgrades to the Snapdragon Neural Processing Engine software framework include support for Google’s TensorFlow and enhancements to Hexagon DSP with Hexagon Vector eXtentions (HVX), including custom neural network-layer support, and power and performance optimizations on Snapdragon heterogeneous cores. OEMs and software developers using machine learning can now enable rich experiences such as intelligent photography, strong security and privacy protection, smart automobiles and personal assistants, and responsive and true-to-life VR and AR.
The Snapdragon 835 features:
- Kryo 280 CPU with four performance cores running at up to 2.45 GHz and four efficiency cores running up to 1.9GHz;
- an integrated Snapdragon X16 LTE modem with support for Category 16 LTE download speeds up to one gigabit per-second, and Category 13 LTE upload speeds up to 150 megabits per-second;
- integrated 2×2 11ac MU-MIMO with up to 50 percent reduction in size and up to 60 percent reduction in Wi-Fi power consumption, compared to the Snapdragon 820;
- 802.11ad Multi-gigabit Wi-Fi, offering up to 4.6 gigabits per-second peak speed;
- the world’s first certified Bluetooth 5 commercial technology offering up to two megabits per-second speed and a suite of features that enable many new use cases (Bluetooth, FM radio,Wi-Fi and RF offered through companion WCN3990 solution);
- Adreno 540 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, full OpenCL 2.0, Vulkan and DX12;
- Hexagon 682 DSP with HVX;
- Qualcomm All-Ways Aware™ technology with support for the Google Awareness API;
- dual-channel LP DDR4x memory at 1866MHz;
- Qualcomm Location with support for GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, and QZSS systems, which in combination with LTE/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity to provide “always-on” location and context awareness;
- up to 32 MP single and 16 MP dual-camera with Qualcomm Spectra 180 ISP, 2x ISP, 14-bit, hybrid autofocus (laser/contrast/structured light/dual-phase detection AF), Qualcomm® Clear Sight™, optical zoom, hardware accelerated face detection and HDR video recording;
- 4K Ultra HD video capture @ 30 fps, up to 4K Ultra HD video playback @ 60 fps, support for H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC);
- maximum On-Device and External Display Support including Ultra HD Premium™ ready, 4K @60fps, wide color gamut support, 10-bit color depth;
- Quick Charge 4 technology;
- the Snapdragon security platform including the Qualcomm® SecureMSM™ hardware and software and the Qualcomm Haven security suite;
- Qualcomm Aqstic™ WCD9341 audio codec combined with Snapdragon 835 supports an audiophile grade DAC with 32-bit/384kHz support with an SNR at 115dB and ultra-low -105dB THD+N and native DSD hi-fi audio playback. Additionally, the Snapdragon 835 supports Qualcomm® aptX™ and aptX HD Bluetooth audio with 2x improved power for wireless connectivity;
- and manufactured on 10nm FinFET technology.
Meet the Snapdragon 835: a next-gen processor made for power users
Whether we’re VR gamers, budding photographers, or soccer moms, we expect our batteries to last. We expect our processors to handle new apps and games. We expect our cameras to take pro-level pictures and videos. In bad light. At a rock concert. We’ve come to expect a lot from our phones. We’re power users.
And as we embark on a new era of intelligent, connected experiences, our mobile devices are going to need a new, one-of-a-kind processor that’s smaller, faster, and more energy-efficient than any chipset in history.
Meet the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor. Qualcomm Technologies’ newest mobile SoC is designed to meet every one of these rigorous requirements while setting new standards in mobile performance. Using a new 10nm design with more than three billion ultra-efficient transistors, Snapdragon 835 is 35 percent smaller than its predecessor, the Snapdragon 820.
This pivotal size reduction and efficiency boost allow device manufacturers to design thinner premium-tier consumer devices (smartphones, VR/AR head-mounted displays, IP cameras, tablets, mobile PCs, and more) with larger batteries that run on less power and last longer. All told, Snapdragon 835 is engineered to use 25 percent less power than the previous generation, which means huge battery savings.
With these architectural improvements comes more space on the Snapdragon 835 to deliver significant improvements designed to drive tomorrow’s mobile experiences: ultra-fast charging and multi-day battery life, jaw-dropping AR/VR immersion, the most advanced camera capabilities, gigabit LTE and multi-gigabit Wi-Fi connectivity, and inside-out security — all of it complemented by machine-learning solutions designed to make our devices stunningly intelligent.
This custom-built SoC is more efficient for today’s power user (read: all of us) who regularly streams music, uploads videos, takes conference calls, and plays VR games — sometimes all in a single day. There isn’t one type of processor for all applications, so Snapdragon 835 calls on the best components, including the Qualcomm Kryo 280 CPU, Qualcomm Adreno 540 GPU, and Qualcomm Hexagon 682 DSP, to manage separate workloads — all optimized by the Qualcomm Symphony System Manager to support superior thermals and long battery life.
Along with the new 10nm design, these multi-pronged, harmonized computing solutions bring unprecedented energy improvements. They include: more than one day of talk time, over five days of music playback, or over seven hours of 4K video streaming. Should the phone need more power, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4 is designed to provide five hours of talk time after five minutes of charging.
Immersive AR and VR
Snapdragon 835 builds on Qualcomm Technologies’ expertise in virtual reality solutions (for example, the Snapdragon VR820, which brings immersive virtual reality to mobile). Game-changing enhancements are at the core of Snapdragon 835, including immersive visuals, heightened sounds, and intuitive interactions, so what you see is now truly what you get. Designed to meet VR processing demands within strict thermal and power constraints, the processor offers 25 percent faster 3D graphic rendering and 60X more display colors when compared to the previous generation.
To generate true-to-life sounds, Snapdragon 835 supports 3D positional audio, superior SNR (Signal-to-Noise ratio), and native DSD format support for true high fidelity playback thanks to the latest Qualcomm Aqstic offerings. And for the most intuitive and comfortable user experiences on AR and VR, the new SoC is engineered to produce a 20 percent reduction, versus the Snapdragon 820 as implemented in the VR820, in motion-to-photon latency and six-degrees-of-freedom (or 6DOF) for precise, comfortable, and intuitive motion tracking. In addition, the processor supports Daydream, the Google platform for high quality, mobile VR.
All of these improvements are made possible by a heterogeneous computing approach that isolates different parts of Snapdragon 835 for audio, video, and motion functions, designed to deliver the best user experience and the most efficient processing.
The camera is an indispensable part of our phone and lives. To meet the ever-changing needs of power users and allow us to create new mobile experiences, Snapdragon 835 introduces improvements to mobile photography, and video capture designed to deliver smooth zoom, advanced autofocus, and true-to-life colors.
Snapdragon 835 features improved zoom and stabilization for photos and videos by developing highly optimized software algorithms designed to toggle intelligently between processing sub-systems like the Qualcomm Spectra 180 ISP, Hexagon 682 DSP, and Adreno 540 GPU to deliver a smooth zoom experience. Qualcomm Technologies’ newest generation of video stabilization software, EIS 3.0, is engineered to provide superior 4K video stabilization through advanced yaw, roll, and rolling shutter correction.
Major enhancements have also been introduced to auto-focus. New support for Dual Photodiode (2PD) and updates to our hybrid auto-focus framework are designed to bring intelligent phase and lighting detection to devices, to make sure that power users never miss another important moment because of bad camera focus. And Qualcomm Clear Sight is engineered to fuse together images for improved sharpness, noise reduction, and dynamic range.
Power users expect fast internet speeds. We want access to 360-degree VR video, cloud storage with speeds rivaling local storage, fast-caching of Hi-Fi music and movies, and the speed and convenience of instant apps — all without delays or quality degradation. Snapdragon 835 is designed to deliver each of these key experiences through the integrated Snapdragon X16 Gigabit LTE modem and support for 802.11ad multi-gigabit, as well as integrated 2×2 11ac MU-MIMO Wi-Fi, engineered to support a whole new class of experiences for power users, at home and on the go.
Supporting peak download speeds up-to 10x faster than first-generation 4G LTE devices, the Snapdragon X16 is designed not only to deliver peak download speeds that rival fiber optic cables, but also a more consistent user experience under a wider variety of signal conditions. The modem hauls in information with advanced 256-QAM digital signal processing, receives data on four antennas through 4×4 MIMO, and supports up-to 4X carrier aggregation.
On the Wi-Fi side, 11ad supports speed up-to 4.6 Gbps, extremely low latency, and up-to 5X lower power per bit performance compared to 11ac. The integrated 2×2 11ac MU-MIMO supports higher speeds even in crowded networks, and lower power consumption compared to its predecessor.
Additionally, Snapdragon 835 is the world’s first solution, supported through the companion WCN 3990 chip, to be certified for Bluetooth 5.0, improving overall speed, range, and capacity. This powerful combination of advanced LTE technologies as well as state-of-the-art Wi-Fi connectivity work together to support blazing fast speeds virtually anywhere you go. In terms of location services, Snapdragon 835 is engineered to deliver an up-to 30 percent improvement in accuracy for indoor navigation compared with Snapdragon 820, and up-to 50 percent reduction in power compared to traditional GNSS.
Power users require advanced hardware- and software-based security because mobile devices contain personal and valuable information used for sensitive transactions. The Snapdragon 835 Qualcomm Haven Security Platform is engineered to support three layers of security — at the processor, device, and system levels. Haven uses PINS and fingerprints to authenticate the user interface and eye- and face-based security to authenticate the camera. At the same time, Haven runs device attestation on the software, apps and OS, and hardware. The end result is a security platform designed to authenticate both the user and the device continuously and thoroughly, helping protect the reams of new information and transactions taking place on our phones.
Woven through these key five improved mobile experiences is Qualcomm Technologies’ machine learning platform. It’s designed to provide intelligent, on-device capabilities that utilize the computing strength of Snapdragon 835 to make our devices smarter. Real-world use cases include object recognition for better photos, real-time hand-tracking for immersive VR, voice recognition for a low-power virtual assistant, and biometric authentication that knows and protects users. These applications can make our devices smarter, more dynamic, and more useful.
With long battery life, immersive experiences, cutting-edge camera capabilities, and Gigabit Class download speeds, the Snapdragon 835 processor is supporting the phenomenal mobile performance power users need and expect.